Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dress Codes

In class a few days ago we held a discussion on dress codes, and whether New Trier had one or not. As a result, I began to pay extra-close attention towards focusing on what students tend to wear. A few years ago it used to be North Face jackets. Now, it seems to be more of a 'preppy' north-shore look. It seemed very obvious that everyone (for the most part) chose to wear similar clothing styles.


Although I did notice this trend at New Trier, I would still argue that there is no such thing as an 'unwritten' dress code. Every student has the choice to wear whatever they want each day, and no rules can stop them (within reason). Although they may not fit in as well, students can express themselves by wearing different types of clothing. Simply, for that reason, I believe there is no dress code at our school. What do you think? Does New Trier have a dress code?

1 comment:

  1. This class discussion was very interesting to me, and similar to you, I believe that New Trier does not have an "unwritten" dress code. I think that an "unwritten" dress code is the wrong way to describe the trends in clothing that exist at our school. I believe that in different socio-economic communities there are different styles and trends that are popular or accepted. I do not believe that it is possible to have an "unwritten" dress code, instead I think we are noticing trends in what similar social class children like to wear. Additionally with a school as big as New Trier, with many different personalities and types of people, I think the only explanation to similar patterns is clothing is simply what our surrounding expose us to. Everyone can wear whatever they want, yet our similar backgrounds expose us to similar clothing, which is falsely identified as an "unwritten" dress code. This "unwritten" dress code seems to me like a stereotype, like all New Trier kids are preppy, which is not consistent across all of the student body. An "unwritten" dress code would need to be the same for every student, which can't be said about schools, like New Trier, without a formal dress code.

    ReplyDelete