Saturday, September 29, 2012

CHICAGO


Recently we went downtown Chicago to see the play "Jitney". This sparked debates in class about the differences of our lifestyles in the north shore compared to that of the north side, or south side of Chicago. Instead of sharing my personal experiences, I decided to explore different maps depicting various statistics of Chicago. I want to see what affect these maps have on us, and our perception of Chicago. 

Poverty in Chicago


My first impression of these maps was that, even though representing very different things, they looked fairly similar. Each map has a clear division between the north and south side of Chicago, while the west side is scattered with variety in each map. Although, there are some areas that these maps greatly differ. For example, most of the areas with extreme violence seem to be in poverty, except there is a large region in the south east side of Chicago that is extremely poor, but only moderately violent. That is why it is not fair to generalize and say that all areas in poverty have higher crime rates, because that might not always be true. Do these maps make your perceptions of Chicago change at all, and if so, how? Do these maps provide a different lens for your vision of Chicago? For me, they seem to confirm the segregation Chicago faces, and how living only a few blocks away can make a difference. 

2 comments:

  1. These visuals surprised me. I didn't realize how different the areas of Chicago were both ethnically, and economically. It is so true that a few blocks can make a substantial difference in living. Although I agree with you in the sense that it is unfair to generalize all areas of poverty with high crime rates, the empirics show a strong correlation between poverty and violent crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is unfair to assume that violent crime goes hand-in-hand with poverty; however, it is true that the areas with more poverty tend to have a higher violent crime rate, although this is not always true. Contrary to Noah, the maps did not surprise me. I expected to see the south having the most poverty, African Americans, and violent crime, and the north having the least, and the west being somewhere in the middle. I was however surprised to see a few neighborhoods in the south that we relatively less impoverishe, African American, and violent.

    ReplyDelete