Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wasteful Thinking?

During class this week, Doc Oc proposed a question about if there are jobs that are a waste of education. I kept this in mind when I went to visit colleges this weekend, and something interesting occurred to me throughout my conversations with other students. Several times, I was told something was a "bad major" because you couldn't get a "good job" from it. Or I was told not go over to certain buildings because there were classes for "dumb subjects" taking place in it. As a part of my research I looked up what majors were the "best". The results were all of the classes that led to high paying jobs.




This didn't shock me but it made me think. Is it a waste of an education if your major leads you to a "bad job"? I think not. If one wants to pursue something that is interesting to them, but differs from the usual path of a college student, they should be encouraged to. After all, all different sorts of jobs are required for society to function, and for that reason I believe there is no such thing as a waste of an education. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree Tom, there is no such thing as a waste of education. Any type of education should be appreciated and definitely not be taken for granted. Now, I know the majority would suggest that a "good job" is one that is high paying. However, I would argue that a good job is one that a person enjoys going to, and does not complain about having to work there.
    Also, to add on, I agree with you about how all different jobs are needed to allow for a society to function. It is somewhat like a food chain. For example, if the lowest creatures on the food chain, or the "bad jobs," disappeared than the whole food chain, or society, would start to crumble. Everything has its place to help create a functioning society, and as such, all jobs should be encouraged, rather than discouraged.

    ReplyDelete